Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

I wished a friend "Happy Valentine's Day" and she said "I don't know what is soooo happy about it!"

Well, for the first time I got gifts from my wife and daughter during Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day in Japan is really different. Japanese women give presents - mainly chocolate - to men, but not the other way around. Men are supposed to return the favours received on Valentine's Day one month later on White Day, which is March 14. I guess this only happens in Japan.

Look at the chocolates I got from my wife and daughter. The Japanese chocolate companies really know how to cash in on Valentine's Day.

2 Comments:

At 17/2/06 2:45 AM, Blogger Bloody Caesar said...

Oh, I like that ... Fancy myself getting a gift for a change! So, what are you suppose to give typically on White Day? Why is it called White Day?

 
At 18/2/06 7:48 AM, Blogger JYap said...

There are many theories about the origins of White Day, but according to one, the holiday began in 1965, when a marshmallow maker started marketing to men that they should pay back the women who gave them chocolate and other gifts with marshmallows. Originally it was called Marshmallow Day, and later it was changed to White Day.

Soon, the chocolate companies started realizing that they could capitalize as well on this day, and began marketing white chocolate. Now, Japanese men give white and non-white chocolate, as well as other edible and non-edible gifts, such as jewellery or objects of sentimental value, to the women who were kind enough to think of them and give them chocolate on Valentine's Day a month prior.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home